Monday, March 29, 2010

Knock it off!

Yes, it's true, I saw a mimi&lu knock off! Over the weekend, we stopped by the SouthPark Walkabout.  Four times a year business's in Southpark, a cute San Diego neighborhood, open their doors late into the night and the crowds mingle, grab a drink and shop.  I stopped into a few stores and as I checked out the jewelry I found myself staring and one of my designs-only it wasn't mine. I've seen this before but not so spot on. Now, before I go any further, I will say that I firmly believe that it is very possible for work to result in similar designs even though they were developed in separate minds. I think there is a term for this but it escapes me now. So, yes, this very well couldve been the case. This particular item was, however, almost identical to one of my signature best sellers(which I wont mention by name) and it also happened to be made by a local designer (whom I also won't mention by name). I made a decision early on to simply accept that this just happens. Intentionally or unintentionally, it's going to happen and if I'm going to let it bother me, I'll end up wasting a lot of energy.  For me, it's flattering in the sense that someone thought the design was so good it was worth replicating.  One half of me feels like giving a big sigh, like 'really?' But the other half manages to disregard any feelings of discouragement  because it drives me to develop more distinct designs. The truth is, I've usually already moved on from the design to something new and exciting and fresh.

The rest of the walkabout was a nice evening out and I popped into some stores that I plan on revisiting. Clariy Soap & Candles was one of my favorites and I wasn't even there for the soap or candles! They also sell their furnishings and I saw rustic tables, chairs and a large chest that I would've been happy to lug home. I'll def. be back when I'm looking to fill a space in my home.

1 comment: