Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter and Earthquakes

I don't like earthquakes. In 1989, I shared a room with my sister and I told her she was banging too hard on the wall (she was hanging a picture I think). But that shaking turned into what became one of the largest earthquakes in Northern California (Loma Prieta). A freeway collapsed and a piece of the Bay Bridge fell.  Yesterday's 7.2 earthquake, centered not all that far from here in Mexico, was a little like deja vu. Those feelings of anxiety race back. I was helping my husband with a project at the SD Firehouse Museum, where he volunteers (which was closed for the day) and my first thought was GET OUT. We were in a very old building that is crammed with all sorts of items on high shelves, hanging from the ceiling, etc.  My second thought was Lucca. I imagined he would be freaking out at home, barking or crying (despite his size he is a big baby) and that he'd possibly peed out of fright. We hurried home, my mind racing, to a snoring dog lounged comfortably on the couch. Maybe I should take a relaxation cue from the dog. Lesson learned. Whose the baby now?
Yesterday was Easter and while this pic wasn't taken yesterday, I figured the yellow flowers are a bit Easter-y.  Here, Lucca is channeling his inner 'Flower Child'.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment