Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

Dear Stranger,

I want to say thank you.  Last weekend while out of town & at the beach, my husband was bitten severely on the hand by a dog that was trying to attack our dog, Lucca. As soon as it happened, our world went into chaos mode. As much as I tried to keep it together and figure out a way to get my injured, pale husband, confused dog and beach gear to the car in record time, I felt like I was falling apart.

We had made it across the beach and up the stairs to the road and not one person- despite all the stares- stepped into help. And then, out of nowhere, you stepped in. You saw me frantically sitting my husband down at the top of the beach stairs, arms overflowing with towels, beach bags and blankets with a 135lb dog in tow, dropped all of your things and said, 'let me help you'. You held my dog and sat with my husband as I ran to pull around the car.

I never got your name and I don't remember a face but your calm and reassuring nature stuck out to me so much so that I actually made note of it in my head amoungst the thousands of thoughts racing through my brain. You gently suggested I give my husband some water and reminded me to type the hospital into my GPS before pulling away. Im pretty sure you smiled and said 'Ok now, have a good day' or 'everything will be fine' as we pulled away.

Sometimes it's the kindness of strangers that gets us through an experience like that and so we'd like to thank you for being our kind stranger.

Sincerely,
Mimi and Lu

1 comment: