Monday, May 3, 2010

Get dressed.

I had a request to post photos of where I work here on the blog and since it's not everyday I get a request,  I am happy to do so.  Right now, I work in a studio/office out of my house, which is basically one room I have taken over.  Since the people who work for me work out in the field, this set up suits me. I spend most of my time between the chair at my jewelry desk and the chair at my computer desk. I'm sure I switch chairs at least 10 times a day.  I had my studio/office painted yellow because I love the color and wanted something bright and cheery.
I've been doing the 'work from home' scenario now for 3-4 years and I've definitely learned a few things. I thought I'd post some tips for working from home as well as some huge misconceptions:

Gonna work from home? Here are some things that help me survive:
- Have a set wake up time in the morning and get up. Then get dressed. And not in sweats.
- Have a routine or schedule. I do all of my 'me' stuff in the morning- workout, check personal emails, run an errand.  I know once I start working, Ill never get that stuff in.
- Make sure your workspace is defined. If you have receipts on the kitchen table, product on the coffee table, and packing materials on the dining table it's just going to be more chaotic.'
-Make time for breaks and force yourself to set aside time where you are not looking at work. This is a tough one for me.
- Coffee maker. I can't live without my Keurig.

And here are a few things to consider:
-It's lonely. Something I did not anticipate. I love people and when it's just me and Lucca, well- sometimes the dog gets an ear full.
-You wear a LOT of hats. There are plenty of times I wish I could call the "IT" guy. Instead, Im usually on hold with HP or have my fax machine in pieces.
- You never 'go home' since you are already there. Stir-crazy anyone??

That said, there are aspects I love and you might too! Have any tips I didn't mention? Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment