Monday, November 22, 2010

Rainy Day Projects

This weekend we woke up to cloudy skies, rain and what San Diegans would consider 'chilly' weather. (our Bostonian friends are rolling their eyes...) And while I loved that it gave me a chance to put on my boots and hat, it also gave me permission to spend Saturday morning in my pjs with a hot glue gun, loads of ribbon and a giant cup of coffee. (Holiday box for Keurig of course!).

Two years ago, a couple days after my wedding, my good friend (from ReadySetWife- check it out!) and I were lounging on Coronado Beach- the same beach my husband had proposed on. While dipping our toes in the water, we each found a full sand dollar. We were thrilled! Then we suddenly found another. Wow, what are the chances!? Wait, then another and another.... I think you know where this is going. It was like we stumbled upon a sand dollar graveyard. You had to look carefully as the tide rolled out for 'bumps' in the sand that caused a ripple in the water and then jump on it.  Here I was, with a friend who I rarely see, who lives 3000 miles away and we weren't even talking.  We became so fixated on these sand dollars- collecting them and then bringing them back to our blanket, methodically lying them out- that I'm very sure we became 'those crazy ladies' to others at the beach.

It left me with a very happy memory of my wedding week and the friends who flew across the country to spend the occasion with us- AND- a bucket full of sand dollars sitting in a cupboard. Until now. Twenty of them (a fraction of what I have) would become dangling ornaments- painted  gold and adhered to festive ribbon.  Deciding it needed a bit more, I hand stamped muslin bags and this became the packaging.  It was nice to take a tiny departure from jewelry to enjoy a rainy Saturday morning project.  The rain has since lifted and it's back to jewelry- with of course one thing remaining the same- that giant cup of coffee.
(PS. What's YOUR Rainy day project?)

1 comment:

  1. That was one of my most favorite days ever! Thank you for reminding me! I love a task, especially when I'm in the company of a lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete